Rebuilt in 1437 by order of Orlando Pallavicino the Magnificent, its façade is adorned with valuable terracotta decorations in the Lombard taste, typical of the 15th century buildings of Busseto and most likely produced in the workshop of Jacopo de’ Stavolis in Polesine (ca. 1480-90) and based on Rainaldo’s models. The interior of the church, which was lined with Rocaille stuccoes in the mid 1700s after the manner of Fortunato Rusca and Carlo Bossi, houses important 16th, 17th and 18th century paintings including fifteen tondos with the Mysteries of the Rosary by Vincenzo Campi (ca. 1576-1581) and frescoes with the imposing figures of the Doctors of the Church by Michelangelo Anselmi (1538-39). The main altar with figures and carvings in imitation gilded bronze by Giovanbattista Febbrari of Cremona (mid 1700s) and the neoclassical choir (1800-1805) are remarkable. Although at the present time it is not open to the public, the Collegiate Treasure collection is exceptional. It includes sumptuous vestments, decorated hymn books from the end of the 1400s, a small carved ivory triptych, ascribed to the early 1400s and attributed to the Embriachi workshop, and splendid silverware. The gold-plated silver processional cross, fashioned in 1524 by the goldsmiths Jacopo Filippo and Damiano Da Gonzate of Parma, is of great importance. Ferdinando Provesi was Collegiate chapel-master and organist from 1820 to 1833. At Provesi’s death, the twenty-year-old Giuseppe Verdi interrupted his studies in Milan to come to Busseto eager to succeed his old music teacher. However, Giovanni Ferrari of Guastalla was appointed, without a contest, over Verdi, and as a sign of protest the members of the Philharmonic Society of Busseto, lead by Antonio Barezzi, refused to participate in the sacred functions and the village became divided into two factions: for and against Verdi.
Open every morning and afternoon.
Via Roma – Busseto (PR)
We open up our world and our heart, to let you live and not just visit, Verdi's land.